The College/ University Programs & Training

The Post-Secondary Registration, Financial Assistance, or Scholarship contact Department of Education, or Nunavut Inuit Organization.

The Post-Secondary & Pre-Trades Programs

Training Programs

  • MTO – Nunavut Municipal Training Organization – Targeted Training: Class 3/Air Brakes, Heavy Equipment Operators, Accpac courses (Accounting software), Professional Drivers’ Upgrading, The Maintenance Management Operating System (MMOS), and Airport Maintainer.
  • The Department of Economic Development & Transportation – There are many opportunities for our Nunavut people in mining, tourism, fishing and the cultural industries. Sustainable economic development growth depends on many things – protecting our land and resources, education and training for our people, strengthening our communities, and building essential infrastructure. In the Department of Economic Development & Transportation we put people first, helping to build healthy communities and the infrastructure they need to link to each other, to the rest of Canada and to the world.
  • The Department of Economic Development & Transportation – The Seven Steps to Help You Start Your Business.
  • The Department of Culture & Heritage provides funding in the form of grants and contributions to community-based, non-profit organizations and individuals. This funding is set aside to assist those who have an idea or project that contributes to the preservation and/or promotion of Nunavut’s culture, heritage, language or amateur sport.
  • Service Canada – Education, training and employment, taxes, or starting a business etc. in Nunavut or outside the Territory.
  • The Interprovincial Standards, Red Seal Program – Trades training and Certification
  • Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency – Skills development programs
  • Aboriginal Ecotourism Training Program
  • The Transportation of Dangerous Goods Training, and Certification
  • Kivalliq Inuit Association – Programs, cultural initiatives or small business support, and Cultural visitors centre
  • The Department of Human Resources programs, and training

Pre-Trades, Apprentice, or College Programs

  • Pre-trades courses
  • Occupational skills, or Health & Safety
  • On-the-job employment skills
  • General Arts & Science, academic English, media, communications & languages
  • Apprentice training, arts & crafts/ seamstress, and KIA cultural centre programs
  • Entry-level trades training, or Health Care Nursing Program
  • The Home Care, & Practical Nurses Programs
  • Transport and heavy equipment training, licensing and certification

Training Grants, and MTO Programs

Nunavut Arctic College (Learning Centre) Programs, 2021 – 2022

The Essential Skills Academic Upgrade Program:
The Arctic College – Learning Centre will deliver Academic Program on English, Basic Math, Inuktitut, Career or College, Portfolio Development, and Keyboarding, Intro to Computers, or Job Experience, September, 2021.

Office Administration Program – Year Two Diploma:
Office Administration diploma program year two scheduled September 8, 2020 – May, 2021 contact local Adult Educator (867) 898-9048, Application – Nunavut Arctic College

Office Administration Program – Year One:
Office Administration program year one (phase two) scheduled September, 2019 – April, 2020 in Chesterfield Inlet; information on Office Administration program contact local Adult Educator (867 ) 898-9048, Nunavut Arctic College

Municipal Organization Training, Heavy Equipment Operator training program. The Hamlet of Chesterfield Inlet, and MTO open this training to general public (space limited). Participants must have valid class 5 licence. HEO Equipment on wheeled loader, motor grader, and crawler tractor. Scheduled August 6 – 22, 2019. Information on HEO Program contact Hamlet Office (867) 898-4600.

Class 3 Driving Course air brakes endorsement, Hamlet of Chesterfield Inlet along with Nunavut Arctic College, October 9 – 30, 2018; information on Class 3 Driving Course air brakes endorsement program contact Hamlet Office (867) 898-4600

Program Pre-Trades Training:
For information on the Pre-Trades Training program scheduled January 3 to April 20, 2018 with the Nunavut Arctic College in Chesterfield Inlet; contact the local Adult Educator 1-(867) 898-9048 or Fax: 1-(867) 898-9101

ABE (Adult Basic Education), and WES (Workplace Essential Skills): delivered at the Nunavut Arctic College – Learning Centre. Program includes – English, Math, Inuktitut, Career/College, Portfolio Development, and Preparing for Change, Keyboarding, Intro to Computers and Job Experience.

Accounting Training (Sage 50 & Sage 300) – Hamlet of Chesterfield Inlet:
A basic introduction to Accounting Training for Sage 50 and Sage 300 software program was held with Avery Cooper Financial Corp. – March 21 to 30, 2016 with the Hamlet of Chesterfield Inlet.

Fur Production, and Design Chesterfield Inlet:
The Fur Production and Design program in Chesterfield Inlet hosted a class ceremony on December 16, 2015. 4 graduates completed the program with program coordinator Rose-Marie Tongola and assistant coordinator Pauline Kadjuk. The ceremony was open to Elders and members at the community complex. This four months program was developed using Inuit traditional methods on how to prepare, design and sew garments for the seal skin, fur garment industry. The students had the opportunity to develop Inuit traditional knowledge and skills in this area.

Frequently Asked Questions

Question: What are my career options with a ‘HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA’ versus my career options ‘WITHOUT A HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA’?

Answer: For more information, we suggest you talk to your local school Guidance counsellor, Teacher or visit local Nunavut Arctic College, Learning Centre for information. You can also contact an agency that offers Education or Career Counselling services with Service Canada

Question: Where can I get information/applications about student financial assistance/grants?

Answer: The Nunavut Scholarships Program may be available for some students along with the FANS program and the NTI Memorial Scholarship. Download Nunavut Beneficiaries Scholarships Program application form and Jose Amaujaq Kusugak Memorial Scholarship application. For further information about Grant programs contact or visit the Department of Education, Government of Nunavut website or local Nunavut Arctic College – Learning Centre in Chesterfield Inlet for program information (867) 898-9048 or Fax: (867) 898-9101

Question: Where can I get information about student residences?

Answer: For information about student residences contact the Student Services Centre or the Student Association for the respective campus. Often information can be found on their web site. Links to many of University and College web sites can be found here.

Question: Who can I contact about campus programs and/or How to Apply for a program?

Answer: Complete the educational institution’s application forms for the programs or courses you want to apply. Often these forms can be downloaded from their web site or at your request, sent out by mail from their registrar’s office. Submit the completed application to the campus or community learning centre in Nunavut (or outside of Nunavut) that offers the programs or courses. Many programs or courses are filled on a first come first serve basis and it is advisable to apply as early as possible on or before the due date.

Question: Where can I get information about ‘High School – General/Academic’ upgrading Equivalency and ‘College/University’ preparation Courses, on a Full or Part-time basis?

Answer: High School ‘General’ or ‘Academic’ upgrading equivalency and College/University preparation courses are offered at various ‘Colleges’ or at other ‘Educational Institutions’. As a sample, here is the Academic Upgrading Courses Chart from Alberta. Also, view the Aboriginal Upgrading Programs – High School Credit courses Programs offered (Alberta).

Other college campuses that offer high school credits to finish high school equivalency or to qualify for a Career Training Program or to attain high school diploma/continuing education and then to prepare for a career are: – Red River College – Continuing Education or Algonquin College – Career & Academic Access Centre – Woodroffe, Ontario. Visit these two sites for more information.

Question: How do I transfer my post-secondary/institutional credits?

Answer: The applicant with high school or post-secondary education credits must make arrangements with the schools where they studied to have a copy of their transcripts mailed to the new school or campus they are registering with. Submit an application form to transfer your credit(s) or request a challenge credit form from the campus.

Question: I need to speak with a Student Councillor – who can I speak to?

Answer: All Universities and Colleges have a Student Services/Counselling department, which will be able to assist you with your questions and concerns. This includes counselling on programs and courses, financial aid, scholarships, bursaries, awards, academic advice, tutoring etc.